Show of hands if you love Mexican Food 🙂
Just me? Okay… I absolutely love Mexican food! The spices, the flavor, and all of the cheeses! When I decided to stop eating meat a year ago (I blogged about it here), I thought that meant giving up some of my favorite dishes. But… 🙂 I played around with the right ingredients and I was able to re-invent one of my signature meals with all vegan ingredients!
I will say, I was skeptical about trying the vegan cheese shreds. I’ve heard the horror stories. I’ve even tasted vegan shredded cheese myself from a different brand (It was disgusting 🙁 ). I was prepared to find something else to eat, just in case my experiment wasn’t successful. The cheese turned out delicious and I’m so glad that I tried it with this dish! I feel like it’s one of my greatest accomplishments as a vegan/vegetarian 😀
This recipe was adapted from recipegirl’s Beef and Bean Enchilada Casserole.
Here’s what I used:
- 3/4 Bag of Gardein’s Beefless Ground
- 1 Bag of Daiya’s Cheddar Cheese Shreds
- Flour Tortillas
- 1 Can of Black Beans
- 1 Can of Pinto Beans
- 1 Can of Mild Enchilada Sauce
- Chili Powder
- Garlic Powder
Here’s what I did:
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Brown the Beefless Ground, using chili powder and garlic powder to season.
- Add 1/3 of the enchilada sauce to the meat, stir, and remove from heat.
- Add black beans and pinto beans. Mix.
- Layer a baking pan with tortillas.
- Add Beefless Ground mixture.
- Add 1/3 of mild enchilada sauce on top of the mixture.
- Add Daiya’s cheddar cheese shreds.
- Repeat steps 5-8, making two layers.
- Cover the mixture with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
The recipe is fairly simple and does not take long to prepare! Please note that it does not take much to season the Beefless Ground. Be careful with the amount of chili powder that you use, tasting it along the way, so that it is not too spicy.
Let me know if you try this recipe, and how it turns out! 🙂